David Hoffman. A Lecture, Introductory to a Course of Lectures, Now Delivering in the University of Maryland (Baltimore: Printed by John D. Toy, 1823).
William Cranch’s copy. A seventy-seven page pamphlet in tan wrappers, signed at the head of the top wrapper in black ink “The Hon:e [Honorable] Judge Cranch, Alexandria [Virginia].” The pamphlet contains David Hoffman’s first lecture to law students at the University of Maryland. Professor Hoffman (1784-1854), a prominent Baltimore lawyer and legal educator, was one of the founders of the Law Institute at the fledgling University of Maryland.
Reporter of the U.S. Supreme Court William Cranch (1769-1855), judge of the Circuit Court of the District of Columbia, was one of the first two law professors at GW Law’s first
incarnation, the Columbian College (1826-1828). Judge Cranch began his teaching duties in June, 1826, not quite three years after publication of Hoffman’s Lecture. Hoffman and Cranch were among the pioneers in university-affiliated American legal education, with Hoffman slightly ahead; in preparing his law school lectures, Judge Cranch may have turned to Hoffman’s work for guidance as he embarked upon his own experiment in Washington, DC.
Find out more about our Special Collections here.